Provides nursing care to patients under the direction and guidance of the registered professional nurse, consistent with standards of nursing practice, Agency philosophy, policies, goals and objectives. This is done by performing the following duties:
• Provides nursing care to selected patients under the direction of a registered professional nurse.
• Carries out procedures and treatments according to signed physician orders and nursing plan of care.
• Participates in the development, implementation and on-going nursing care plans and nursing care activities, including participation in case conferences.
• Provides instructions to patients, families, and/or significant others in accordance with the registered professional nurse’s plan of care.
• Identifies and reports changes in the patient’s condition and/or family situation to the physician and registered professional nurse.
• Records information concisely, accurately and completely according to Agency policies, procedures and guidelines, and submits documentation in a timely manner in accord with Agency policies.
• Understands and interprets Agency policies and procedures.
• Identifies and utilizes appropriate channels to communicate with appropriate persons, including but not limited to, the RNs assigned to the patient’s case, management, and physicians.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
Associate Degree or certification equivalent
License, Registration, and / or Certification Requirement
Requires advanced knowledge of a specialized or technical field or a thorough knowledge of the practices and techniques of a professional field.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
• Licensed Practical Nurse Diploma and one year clinical experience in a medical/surgical setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Current license and registration to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse in New York State.