This position manages budgetary, operational, administrative and human resource functions of assigned units, provides the leadership needed to achieve unit, departmental objectives, and communicates effectively with the Chief Nursing Officer and Director of Nursing to resolve resident and staff issues.
• Collaborates with Human Resources regarding the selection of staff for the resident/patient care units. Plans and maintains staffing pattern for the resident care unit on a 8 hours, seven day a week basis, in order to meet the resident’s/patient’s need for continuity of care. Monitors and contains the use of minimal overtime to meet staffing needs.
• Provides for professional growth and development of nursing staff through identification of needs, encouraging education (formal and continuing) efforts, and evaluation of same. Responsible for completion of regular performance evaluations for each staff member; conducts evaluations for new staff prior to completion of probationary period. Counsels employees, develops staff and, as appropriate, utilizes the disciplinary process in conjunction with existing labor contracts.
• Responsible for safety and comfort of residents, patients, and the health and safety of employees assigned to the unit. Collaborates with ancillary support services to provide a safe, clean and secure environment for residents, staff and visitors. Responsible for the accuracy and timelines of resident census.
• Understands reimbursement and reviews clinical record to ensure resource consumption including personnel time, is documented and appropriate. Evaluates and sets standards for supplies and equipment; monitors utilization of equipment and supplies.
• Conducts regular rounds with the charge nurses, reviews the 24 hour report, care plans and physician order books, daily.
• Promotes open communication within the units and departments. Plans and conducts unit staff meetings for your assigned shift. Advises staff of policies and procedures and serves as a resource to unit staff.
• Provides assistance in the orientation to and practice of emergency procedures, fire drills, evacuation procedures, and internal/external disaster plans and procedures.
• Provides input and standards in formulating resident care policy and procedures for the Nursing Department and the facility. Works with the Medical staff to coordinate medical and nursing management of resident/patient care. Participates in quality assessment and improvement, including utilization and promotion of familiarization with Quality Improvement Standards and programs. Reviews quality improvement reports and integrates appropriate actions.
• Supervises all nursing activities related to resident/patient care; sets standard for accurate reporting and recording of resident symptoms, reaction and progress. Evaluates resident/patient care through assessment, planning, intervention, written documentation, observation, and comparison to established standards. Monitors the care plan to ensure the effectiveness and appropriateness of services.
NYS Registration as a Registered Nurse, Bachelor's Degree plus 3 years of experience.