The Registered Respiratory Therapist is responsible for the rendering of respiratory care and associated diagnostic services ordered by and in collaboration with physicians and other members of the healthcare team. The therapists will participate in the decision making process for the provision of respiratory care at many levels; including but not limited to resident/patient observation, examination, presenting care plan reviews at quarterly resident/patient reviews; providing education; equipment preparation, data collection and analysis and evaluation for the commencement, modification or termination of these services. The job responsibilities may be expanded as the scope and complexity of respiratory care changes in response to the current trends and modalities utilized in the community to provide the appropriate services to our resident/patient population, who range in age from pediatric through senior citizen.
Provides care and services that are commensurate with the mission and vision statements of the Terence Cardinal Cooke Healthcare Center.
• Administers all Respiratory Care Services in accordance appropriate policies, procedures and clinical guidelines.
• Responds to all codes, provides oxygen and performs CPR
• Administers all respiratory therapy medications via nebulizer.
• Must be able to establish and maintain a patent airway in residents/patients exhibiting respiratory difficulty.
• Makes routine rounds to ascertain the comfort and well being of residents/patients receiving respiratory care.
• Responds promptly to all unit calls requesting respiratory care services.
• 8. Performs necessary diagnostic, manipulative and therapeutic procedures including: • Usage of monitoring devices (pulse oximeters, capnometers). • Performs bedside pulmonary function studies and evaluates the results. • Setting up various respiratory care equipment (basic O2 delivery systems, Bipap, and mechanical ventilators). • Performs tracheotomy care including change of tracheotomy tubes. • Knowledge of pharmacology of the drugs used, including indications, contraindications, and safe dosages. • Documents appropriately in medical record, and on various departmental forms as required. • Assists in preparing departmental statistics as required.
• Complies with all policies and procedures of the Center.
• Utilizes clean and sterile techniques as prescribed by the Center’s Infection Control Policy and Procedure Manual.
• Assembles, cleans, and disinfects respiratory care equipment used to perform his/her duties.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum of A.A.S. degree in Respiratory Therapy.
NBRC Registered FDNY G-17 Bulk Medical Gas Certificate of Fitness.
Must be able to place “H” tanks on carriers and move them through the Center, also, must be able to move cryogenic liquid oxygen tanks. Must be able to push and pull various types of respiratory care equipment.