Performs all screening assessments for newly admitted, re-admitted and hospital returned participants, in the areas of speech, language, swallowing and general communication. Evaluate particpants according to the principles and practices of speech therapy. Collaborate with interdisciplinary treatment team. Interprets treatment rationale to the patient resident and family and maintain communication with particpants family when needed. Participate in care services as directed by supervisor in accordance with in-service training. Perform therapy services in accordance with current applicable federal, state, and local standards, guidelines and regulations (as may be directed by the administrator) to assure that the highest degree of quality particpants care can be maintained at all times.
1. Provide Five Star Customer Service to all internal and external customers 100% of the time.
2. Contributes to the overall performance in attaining the four following results: High quality care, Provider of choice, Employer of choice, Financial success
3. Screens and evaluates new residents/patients/clients, and documents results in medical record for all programs as per department policy and procedures.
4. Completes annual and consultative evaluations and documents results in medical record.
5. Establishes functional goals and treatment plans that are individualized and resident specific.
6. Treats residents/patients/clients as needed to progress toward measurable objective goals and maximal functional potential. Modifies treatment plans based on each resident's response to therapy.
7. Evaluates the needs of residents for special equipment, including assisted listening devices, communication boards and feeding equipment. Dispenses adaptive/assistive equipment as appropriate, with inservice to Nursing staff or caregiver as needed.
8. Completes documentation of patient progress using evaluation, daily notes, weekly notes, care plans, consults, nursing inservice, d/c notes, monthly statistics, and other forms as required and/or assigned.
9. Participates in resident and family care conferences, restraint rounds, inservices, staff meetings and other meetings as appropriate.
10. Participates in the education of students as assigned.
11. Provides inservices to residents, family, ancillary staff and other caregivers in procedures such as compensatory strategies for communication, safety in swallowing and the use of assisted listening devices.
12. Assists in care and maintenance of department equipment. Reports the need for adjustment, repair or replacement to supervisor.
13. Maintains an orderly and neat therapy area and complies with Center's and department's safety and infection control procedures.
14. Attends at least one approved continuing education course per year. (Attendance will not be mandatory until such time that the Therapist is eligible for reimbursement from the 1199 Training and Upgrading Fund.)
15. Provides at lest one department inservice per year.
16. Within the scope of their knowledge, shows a willingness to work with new staff by answering clinical and/or procedural questions.
17. Assists the Director of Rehabilitation in the distribution of the work of the Speech Therapy staff.
18. Represents the Speech Language Pathology Department at clinical meetings as assigned.
19. In conjunction with the Director of Rehabilitation, coordinates student program.
20. Other responsibilites as assigned.
experience working in subacute/LTC facility
Be legally authorized (for example, currently licensed, registered or certified if applicable) to participate in the State in which he or she performs the function or action. Only act within the scope of his or her authority to practice.
NY State license in Speech Language Pathology
Computer skills; ablility to learn various software programs; excellent time management skills; excellent communication skills (oral and written); critical thinking and problem solving skills using logic and reasoning.
Flexibility; ability to work in fast-paced environment; ability to learn new information/skills.
Caring and compassionate;friendly and personable; look,dress and act professional; confident and a positive attitude; problem solver; open-minded ; honest; self-motivated; enjoys working with people; high level of integrity.